What is The Difference Between Nanny and Babysitter?
The process of hiring a babysitter or a nanny London for your kid can be quite overwhelming. You want to give the best possible caregiver to your child while you are away. Today, there are agencies offering services for nannies. All you have to do is look them up online and choose a good agency, which blends with your needs.
A nanny is quite different from a babysitter, although the jobs may look familiar. A nanny is hired to take care of a family’s child. It’s a full-time job where the responsibilities vary depending on the needs of the family and the child. A nanny will cater to the personalised demands of the family.
The primary responsibility of a nanny is to nurture and take proper care of the children. However, a modern-day nanny agency will provide you with a nanny who does other associated tasks. This includes dropping or picking up the child from school, designing activities that help in the overall development of the child, helping with homework, taking the child to different places, and scheduling play activities.
There are different types of nannies in London:
- Live-in nannies: The job of a live-in nanny is to provide full-time childcare at home. They take full responsibility for the children. They live with the family and get their separate room. Their responsibilities include bathing, dressing, and feeding the child. They are available even during emergencies.
- Live-out nannies: A live-out nanny works for a maximum of five days a week, with not more than ten hours each day. They do not share the same responsibilities as live-in nannies. They will only be responsible for the child for a few hours a day. She is seldom available during emergencies and also needs to commute to and fro work each day.
- Nanny Share: In this system, two or more families share a nanny. She works part-time with each family, looking after different kids for different times of the day.
A babysitter is someone whose services are occasionally needed to look after the children. Their services are sought after at the weekend or in the evening. College students or teenagers often take up the task of being a babysitter for a family. They come when their services are required. They do not have any fixed hours like a nanny. Unlike a nanny, they do not have professional qualifications. Babysitting is more of a part-time job for them than a full-fledged profession.
Key differences between a babysitter and a nanny:
- A nanny has a specific work schedule that she must adhere to. She takes up more responsibilities in caring for the children. She tends to establish a stronger relationship with the family and the child since she spends more time with them. A babysitter is summoned only occasionally. They are there with the child only for a brief period. They do not have a specific work schedule.
- Babysitters are often youngsters still pursuing their education. They do not have the proper training or several years of experience with child care like a nanny does.
- The work of a babysitter consists of monitoring the child, feeding them, and keeping them entertained until their parents return. However, that’s not the case with a nanny. Nannies are expected to double as a driver, cook, or housekeeper.
- One of the biggest differences between a nanny and a babysitter is in terms of payment. A babysitter tends to have less experience and work only for a limited period. They are not with the child throughout the day like a nanny is. Thus, they are paid much less than a nanny is.
While hiring a babysitter or a nanny London, it is important to conduct a background check and make use of an established agency providing these services. You can focus on your work without worries, and rest assured that your child is being properly taken care of.